Artificial Grass: Everything You Need to Know Before You Buy
What is artificial grass?
Artificial grass – also commonly referred to as fake grass – is a synthetic alternative to natural grass. It’s usually made from durable plastics polyethylene and polypropylene, and sometimes nylon. Offering all the greenery of natural grass without any of the upkeep, artificial grass is a popular option for homes and commercial properties.
Where can I use artificial grass?
Because of its versatility and easy upkeep, artificial grass can be used in a wide range of different areas. These include:
- Home gardens
- Roof gardens
- Children’s play areas
- Dog kennels
- Sports pitches
- Putting greens
Can I install artificial turf myself?
Yes, you can install artificial turf yourself – but like any DIY project, you need to be confident you can tackle the project. DIY installation will save you money, but it can be a tricky job to get right. If you’re not sure, always seek the help of a professional landscaper.
What are the benefits of artificial grass?
- No watering or mowing needed – The upkeep of natural grass can be time-consuming and impractical for some people. Unlike natural grass, artificial grass is far less hassle! You don’t need to mow or water it.
- Looks great year-round – Artificial grass looks the same all year, so your garden will look as fantastic in winter as it does in summer.
- Quick installation – Artificial grass is quick to install, making it an easy way to instantly enhance your home.
- No mud – With artificial grass, you can say goodbye to muddy footprints ruining your carpets!
- Great for pets – Your pets will love your artificial grass as much as the real thing, but the big bonus is they can’t dig it up and its harder to damage.
How to clean artificial grass
Though artificial grass is far easier to maintain than natural grass, it does require some upkeep to stay looking its best. The good news is, cleaning artificial grass is easy – here’s how.
Get into the habit of brushing down your artificial grass once a week with a soft broom or plastic rake to remove any dust and debris. Don’t use a metal rake or anything too hard, as this may cause damage.
On a monthly basis, use a specifically formulated cleaner for artificial grass to help kill bacteria and prevent smells from building up. If you have pets or young children, make sure the formula is safe first.
Additionally, using a geotex membrane as an underlay will ensure weeds won’t grow into your artificial turf. Depending on your turf, you may also find that your artificial grass needs a top-up with sand infill, especially if you have a low pile. Sand infill can help the blades stand up, boost the appearance of your grass and prolong its lifespan. Just make sure you don’t clog the drainage holes!
How long does artificial grass last?
At Build & Plumb, our Namgrass range has a warranty of 10 years! Learning how to look after artificial grass is key to its longevity; regular cleaning as directed will help it keep looking its best for as long as possible.
Explore our full range of artificial grass at Build & Plumb, where you can find a wide variety of high-quality Namgrass turf of different pile heights and colours to choose from. For everything else you need to enhance your garden, check out our paving and aggregate ranges.